I recently attended the D6 Conference in Louisville, KY. D6 is a movement intentional about empowering parents, homes, marriages, leaders, and churches to live out the story of Deuteronomy 6.
5 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. 6 These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. 7 Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. 8 Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.
I am not the Family Pastor at my church, but I am leading areas of discipleship, which includes the family AND the church.
One of the keynote speakers at this conference was Dr. Tony Evans. I had never heard him preach before the conference and was blessed by God as I heard Christ speak through him.
From his website:
As a pastor, teacher, author and speaker, he serves the body of Christ through his unique ability to communicate complex theological truths through simple, yet profound, illustrations. While addressing the practical issues of today, Dr. Evans is known as a relevant expositor. New and veteran pastors alike regard him as a pastor of pastors and a father in the faith.
Here are some highlights that I have shared with others several times in my ministry circles since the conference. This message helped me not only re-define my definition of discipleship but also focus m Biblical vision for ministry at my local church (bulleted list consists of direct quotes from Dr. Evans):
- There is a foundational issue today—the breakdown of the family
- Whoever owns the family owns the future
- After creating an individual God created a family
- Satan never bothered Adam until he got married
- Satan wasn’t just after a man he was after a structure. He heard God say be fruitful and multiply.
- God created family for the purpose of His kingdom: to multiply the image of God
- God created Adam in his image then Eve then offspring = family (an image of the trinitarian God on earth)
- When the stamp of God is missing from the goal of family then we see issues like we have today
- There has been a shifting and a redefinition of the family. Unless the foundation gets fixed we will forever be doing patchwork.
- Men were / are carriers of the covenant. Men were held responsible.
- That’s why satan is busy getting men out of the way. Exodus 34:23-24
- Ephesians 6:1 fathers raise your children. Mothers help.
- As for me and my house this is how we roll. (Modern day setting of Joshua 24:15)
- Raise them in such a way that they adopt a divine standard of definition: my definition or righteousness and judgement.
- Discipleship is the generational replication of Jesus Christ.
- Cd duplicator and the master cd analogy. Not the master because there is only one master but the boot is so good people have a hard time telling them apart.
- Be right with God and be right with others. — The cross symbol: Right with others (left and right)…Right with God (up and down)
- The goal is not to lower the goal but to raise yourself to the standard. Today we meet a lowered goal and really think we’ve done something but we haven’t event come close to the standard.
- We are living in a day of parental outsourcing.
- Our nation is collapsing due to a lack of discipleship
- We have been chosen. Chosen for something bigger than just to get them to 18 years old. A good man leave an inheritance for his children’s children.
- It’s not about just your kids. It’s about setting them up for your grandkids. Nehemiah 4:14
Hopefully something from my notes encourages you, challenges you, or helps you to re-focus a portion of your ministry vision. What is YOUR definition of discipleship? For me, the quote long-standing is this:
Discipleship is the generational replication of Jesus Christ.
(featured image from Trevors Lee website)